The first Lemmer barges were built in 1876 in the shipyard "Gebr. De Boer" in Lemmer, Friesland. The Lemster barge originally was a fishing vessel for use on the Northern part of the then still open Zuiderzee, where during wind against tide often very foul seas developed. Therefore the ship was designed to be very seaworthy and she had very good sailing capabilities. These properties and her flowing lines make the Lemster barge one of the best and beautiful Dutch round sailing yachts.